Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Journal 3: Advice to my Younger Self

Image result for aesthetic bowsAt work today, I saw one of my students come in with red eyes, and a sad smile. Mina is never one to be down... the studio is usually filled with her laughter and all of the other dancers are constantly surrounded by her positive attitude. I tried not to keep an eye on her to a point where she would notice, but I definitely needed to know what was going on. After class, I gave her a hug and asked her to tell me what was going on. She proceeded to tell me that some boys made fun of the way she dresses at school, so she doesn't want to dress like herself anymore. This broke my heart. I could relate to this. I could see my younger self being in this position. Mina dresses loudly. She loves patterns, bright colors, and the big bows that you see all the tiny dancers wearing in their hair now days. I sat for a minute watching her gaze fall to her feet as she explained to me what happened that morning at school. I lifted her chin with one finger and began to tell her a similar story of what happened to me in elementary school. I had very long curly hair, that all the adults adored, but the boys made me feel bad about. I used to go home upset and ask my mom for a haircut, not wanting to look like myself because the boys said I looked like a horse... Mina's eyes switched to a surprise. She asked me if I cut my hair. I told her yes, but if it were up to me now, I would have never changed because of what someone said. After a brief conversation, she was back to her smiling self and put her bow back in her hair. She told me she was going to keep being herself and not listen to what anyone else had to say about her. I was proud, she was a smart girl for her age. If only I had someone to give this advice to me that many years ago... if only I could give this advice to my younger self...

No comments:

Post a Comment